Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Movie Review - Ladyhawke (1985)

Yes, it's an oldie, but by my reckoning, a darn goodie too.
I'm not sure what it is that attracts me to this film - perhaps it's just one of those movies that sticks in your mind from a formative part of your life. When I saw it I can remember thinking that the hero's sword and armour was pretty cool, as I was at a stage of making my own gear like that and running around the back yard with some other neighborhood loonies, hacking and slashing at each other... but enough of that.
The filmography and visuals are excellent (directed by Richard Donner, who did such diverse projects as Kojak (TV), The Goonies, the Lethal Weapon movies and The Omen, among others), but the soundtrack (Alan Parsons Project) has come in for some criticism, although I think it works OK. Hey, it was the Eighties after all. If you can ignore the one or two jarring spots of American accents, then Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick put in fine performances, backed up by the supporting cast who are either delightfully evil or look as if you can almost smell them from your couch.

I won't tell you how the story goes, you'll just have to see it for yourself. For years I thought the movie was made from a book by Joan D. Vinge, as I read it before I saw the movie. However, I have since discovered that this was an adaption, which probably explains why they are so similar, right down to the dialogue. I haven't read the book for years now (only two copies are still available in the WA State Library system, and one of those is in Portuguese), but I have a vague recollection that Vinge may have added a scene or two. If anyone knows one way or the other, please let me know.

At the moment, the City of South Perth Library Service only has the movie on VHS. You can check it's availability on our catalogue here:
http://southperth.wa.gov.au/netopac/webquery.dll?v4=6331&v20=3&v23=0&v24=268637&v25=0&v46=6331

Enjoy. And if you don't, well, don't tell me - you'll just have to live with it yourself.

No comments: